My Money Workshops
Our Core Curriculum
Financial Literacy Workshop – Our Core Curriculum
Our Financial Literacy Workshop is interactive and we encourage students to participate and ask questions. The curriculum incorporates the following topics, and when possible may be customized to meet specific requests the school or organization may have.
- Workshops are also available in Spanish
- My Paycheck – What are all these deductions?
- My Budget – Where is all my money going? I need a budget!
- Insurance – Why?
- Credit Score – What is it and why is it so important?
- Banks/Debit Cards – Which one is right for me? The do’s and don’ts!
- Credit Cards – The good and the bad
- Moving out – Can I afford it?
- Savings – You come first! And Wow!
Introduction to Stock Market & Investing Workshop
Our Introduction to Stock Market and Investing Workshop supplements the core curriculum featured in our Financial Literacy Workshop. WE OFFER NO INVESTMENT ADVICE, just how to understand the different options of investments. We recommend this workshop follow our Financial Literacy Workshop, however, this can serve as a stand-alone, especially when a school and/or organization has a financial literacy syllabus in place.
Topics covered are:
Part 1, The basic stock valuation questions:
- The “real return”
- Inflation, today and in the future
- Bankruptcy risks for stocks and bonds
- Growth opportunities for stocks
Part 2, Individual company questions, including:
- Defining their business
- Demand – product growth
- Supply – competition
- Costs, debt levels, etc.
Part 3, Analyzing several stocks:
- Applying the tools learned earlier
- Buy or sell? McDonald’s, Netflix, Ford, Apple
Our new Tax Time Workshop is a great supplement to the Financial Literacy Workshop. Some subjects covered are:
- When do I start filing taxes – at what income bracket am I required to file?
- What are the necessary tax forms for filing and how do I file them?
- Tips for preparing tax returns
- Q & A with a tax consultant
Retirement Guidelines Workshop
Our Retirement Guidelines Workshop was inaugurated in 2015 following the successful implementation of our Introduction to Stock Market and Investing Workshop. This too is a great extension and supplement to our core financial literacy curriculum.
Topics covered are:
- Why save for retirement?
- The income shortfall
- How much do I need to save
- Retirement savings scenarios
Guest Speaker Workshops
Guest speaker programs are also available. My Money Workshop has volunteer industry specialists. We can make arrangements to bring in local professionals working in various industries. The following represents a sample of industries:
- Automobile (purchasing & leasing)
- Real Estate
- Retail (example – supermarkets)
Our guest speaker workshops are offered after the completion of our financial literacy workshop. Additionally, schools and organizations that have a financial literacy program of their own have found our guest speaker workshops to be complementary to their efforts, as they bring a wealth of knowledge and cover many relevant topics.
Volunteer Instructors – My Money Workshops are taught by volunteer instructors with a background in money management and economics.
Workshops are Customized – My Money Workshop collaborates prior to the workshop date with host teachers and department heads at schools and organizations to ensure that we are best meeting the students’ and community members’ needs.
The length of the workshop is designed to accommodate each particular school/program’s needs. Typically a workshop runs for about an hour and incorporates a question and answer segment. Workshops can be shortened or lengthened to accommodate classroom periods.
Presentation Materials Provided – PowerPoint and handouts are e-mailed approximately one week prior to the scheduled workshop.
Post Workshop Materials – We encourage schools to make our post workshop evaluation available to students, as this provides invaluable feedback regarding the quality of our workshop”.